13 April 2011

EDT Camp Day 1-2

Sunday - Official Day 1


Swim: 1.8k 35mins
Bike: 70k 3hrs 44
Run: 5k 32mins

With the alarm going off on the other side of the room, the tactic worked. I had to get out of bed to turn it off and I was up, with FG slow to follow. To my amazement it was raining and just looked stormy. This is the official first day, so I blame the others bringing the London weather.


The water was choppier than yesterday but I was less worried about jaws coming from the deep blue to eat me! I still wasn’t feeling the swim, with my arms not moving as smoothly as I would like.

With the group together for the first time we had breakfast and our first meeting. We were then handed a bag of goodies, from ProBar and For Goodness Shakes. Excellent stash!

Today's ride was based around a 10mile time trial called El Golfo and the wind was killer along the coast but with amazing scenes as we rode through lava fields and giant waves crashing into the cliffs. It was Hard! I was happy-ish with my performance although my legs did start to die towards the end.

After lunch I had to meet the mechanic from Pro Bike who came down and meet me to work on the bike. Some gear issues and other bits needed to be sorted.

In addition to the Coaches from EDT, Steven and Jo we where luck enough to have a Sports Masseuse - Sarah and Physio - Ali. With my back very tight after the flight and my legs already feeling fatigued Sarah worked hard to speed up the recovery of my legs, which will help me get through the camp.



Monday - Day 2
Swim: 1.8k 35min
Bike: 120k 5hrs 15
Run: 5k 31mins

Swimming was excellent today as we practised swim starts. We all raced into the water swam around a buoy and back again. Going in I didn’t find too hard, a tip for you - make sure the water is deep before you dive. I did chuckle as I saw people diving and then realising they have to get back up run a bit more and then dive again!

We paired up and had a relay, which involved entering and exiting the water twice. Great fun and I made up a place from 4th to 3rd. A big breakfast being my only reward!

The bike was really hard today with 40kph winds. 120k felt like 200k. So strong I thought at times I was going to be blown off the road. There was no rest as you got to the top of an ascent the headwind was so powerful that you needed to pedal to go downhill with any speed. Frustrating! Energy levels where low and I was running out of nutrition and nothing I had helped me feel better. I felt close to bonking, and was very light headed in the last 45 minutes of the ride. I scoffed anything I could get my hands in when I got to the apartment. 20 minutes later I did start to feel better and was very aware I could have been worse. It was something I needed to sort out as I couldn’t risk getting my sugar levels that low again.

I ran alone for 30mins, I felt sick after eating to much when I got in. It is a hard balance to find, but I kept my food down and didn’t feel great but got through it.

My roommate, FG had a brilliant recovery regime which included, a recover/protein shake, lying with your legs up for 15mins and 5 minutes in the cold pool. With the additional massage this helped speed up my recovery and also wind down after a hard day.

2 comments: