28 October 2010

Training Tools

I need to tell you about my new app! Don’t get confused this is not a gadget blog - oh well it might be today. This is a great training tool and I’ve only used it a few times but I love it.


iMapMyRUN is an app from the guys at Map My Fitness who have created a few apps which are similar to this, but can turn your iPhone into an all out fitness computer. Now I’m not a sales guy for this company and if you want it to be a heart rate monitor, read your bike cadence or running stride it will cost you. But iMapMyRUN is a free app, you just need an iPhone, so that’ll be cheap.


So what does this do exactly, well it will record the distance of your run and actually plot your run on a map with the option to look at elevation of the route as well. With the distance and the duration it will work out your pace and estimated calories burnt.

When your crazy running friends get their hands on this you can share what run you have done and challenge them to beat it, whether you email, tweet or facebook it to them.

This can also be used for cycling to log and share routes with your training partners. One other bit of kit I will recommend if you are going to take you phone out training with you is a water proof case for your phone. I had to get one of these after I water damaged my old iPhone – now I don’t have to worry about rain or sweat getting into those little cracks.  With one of these bad boys you can take your phone 6m underwater, so on your summer holiday you can scuba-dive and call your Mum and tell her what a lovely time you’re having.

More seriously, why am I telling you about these? One, because I love a bit of kit, but more because this is a free and easy tool to map and log your training. You will be able to compare times, pace and progress for running and cycling.

You can all send me your thank-yous to the normal address as I have just saved you a few £s on a Garmin!

No comments:

Post a Comment