18 May 2011

THE IRONMAN TRILOGY: The first chapter - Lanzarote (3 days to go)

I am sitting in my apartment in Lanzarote thinking how very different it is to my last visit here. 6 weeks ago I was averaging nearly 6 hours of training a day, now it’s very much a waiting game… 3 days to go.

I feel awful! From the high after EDT camp it has mostly been down hill ever since. Around 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Achilles Tendonosis
 which is an over-training injury, the thing I can do to recover is not run. So I haven’t run in 3 weeks and won’t run until I have to do the marathon. This is so frustrating, just as my season is about to start. I have visited the Physio several times before I had to fly out. At home I’ve been doing lots of ice and heat treatment, it doesn’t hurt now when I walk which is a great.


Will it last the race? I doubt it, I will finish the race but it will hurt. More importantly how long will it take to recover from? I only have 5 weeks til IM Austria.

Annoyingly I have put back-on the weight I lost after camp, the mistake I have made is eating too much whilst my training hours have been decrease due to tapering and not being able to run. My training hours have been cut down from 16-20 a week down to 7-9 hours but I have continued to eat as I am doing 20 hours. I am currently tapering which mean you decrease the volume of training to let yourself feel fresh and strong for the race.

I woke up last night to my nose streaming and multiple sneezes . Luckily my roommate was wearing ear plugs. In addition my throat is doesn’t feel great, I am currently sipping on a litre of hot lemon and honey hoping it will make a difference.

Okay, so I am having a moan at your expense. Thank-you for indulging me. Although the cold isn’t great I should be passed the worst by Saturday as for the other problems I really have to look at the positives. Firstly I have never been as fit as I am right now, I have done the hard work before I have picked up the Achilles problem. I just want to race, it might just be a blessing in disguise that the build up hasn’t been perfect. All I can say is bring it on…

No comments:

Post a Comment